Whether you’ve just purchased a new Pride® Power Lift Recliner or VivaLift!® Power Recliner, or if you are interested in obtaining more information about our lift chair lineup before you buy, get the answers to some of our most commonly asked questions about Pride Lift Chairs.
- How to Choose Your Next Power Lift Chair
- Senior Lift Chairs from Pride
- Pride Power Lift Chairs with Heat and Massage
- Does Medicare Pay for Power Lift Chairs
- Medicaid Funding for Lift Chairs
- Your Guide to Lift Chairs
- Types of Geri Chairs to Meet Your Needs
- What a Geri Chair is Used For
- The Most Durable Bariatric Geri Chairs
What is the correct way to sit in and operate my lift chair?
Follow these steps to properly sit in your lift chair:
- Make sure that your lift chair is in the standing position
- Back into the lift chair and sit in the center of the seat
- Press the DOWN button on your hand remote to lower the lift chair to a comfortable seated position
Follow these steps to properly stand up from your lift chair:
- Press and hold the UP button on your hand remote to raise your lift chair
- Release the button when the lift chair reaches a height where you can stand up comfortably
Follow these steps to lift or recline your lift chair from the seated position:
- Press and hold the DOWN button until you are comfortably reclined
- Press and hold the UP button to return to an upright, seated position; Release the button when the lift chair reaches a comfortable seated position
Can I use the arm rests on my lift chair when attempting to stand?
Avoid putting all your weight on the lift chair’s arm rests. When transferring into your lift chair from a walker or power chair, or when attempting to stand up, we recommend the use of assistance aids and/or a caregiver or attendant for enhanced stability when standing or sitting. Avoid dropping your full weight down into the seat. This can cause damage to your lift chair.
Where can I find my serial number?
The serial number for your Pride power lift recliner begins with an L and is found on the frame on the back of the unit. All serial numbers are 14 characters long and are shown on a white barcode sticker.
Depending on the model of your lift chair, additional barcode stickers may be found in the following places:
- On the removable wooden back under the flap of fabric
- On the side of the wooden arm assembly
- In the owner’s manual
Will Medicaid pay for a geriatric chair?
Medicaid may cover a lift chair if a patient meets the requirements. Some states’ Medicaid programs completely cover the cost of a geriatric chair, while other states partially cover the cost. Click the link to obtain more information on lift chair Medicaid funding.
Will Medicare pay for a lift chair?
If you are receiving coverage through Medicare, you may qualify for coverage on a mobility device. The motorized lift mechanism of a lift chair or seat-lift chair is a Medicare-covered item. If you qualify, Medicare may cover up to 80 percent of the approved amount for the seat lift mechanism. Get more information lift chair Medicare coverage.
How should I clean my elderly lift chair?
You can purchase the Power Lift Recliner Cleaning Kit from Crypton Aria® Super Fabrics. This kit includes three different solutions to remove stains and a disinfectant/deodorizer to prevent mold and mildew. This kit does not use bleach. Contact your local provider to purchase this cleaning kit.
The fabric covering on your lift chair is very durable for everyday living. Clean with only water-based shampoo or foam upholstery cleaner. Do not over wet/saturate the fabric. Do not use solvents to spot clean. For tough spots, lightly scrub with a left to right motion, as opposed to a circular motion, which can leave a circular ring when dry. Always check a small spot of fabric in an area that is unseen to be sure the cleaning agent being used will not discolor or fade the fabric’s finishing. Let the elderly lift chair air dry and vacuum for best results.
What fabrics can I get on my geriatric chair?
Pride offers many fabrics and color choices to suit your taste and style. In addition to standard fabrics available on specific Pride Lift Chair and VivaLift!® Power Recliner geriatric chair models, there are also optional fabrics that can be purchased. Learn more about our lift chair fabrics.
What positions can I achieve on my power lift recliner?
Different Pride Recliners and VivaLift!® Recliners offer the ability to achieve different positions. Some of these positions include:
- 3-position full recline
- Infinite, lay-flat positioning
- True-infinite, Trendelenburg and zero gravity positioning
View our lift chair position guide for more information.